Coconut curry chicken is a mouthwatering dish that combines tender chicken, hearty vegetables, and a blend of aromatic spices, all simmered in a luscious coconut milk sauce. Serve it up with naan and basmati rice for a meal your family won’t be able to get enough of!
Curry is so comforting and delicious. After you try this amazing coconut curry chicken, you’ll have to make chicken tikka masala or massaman curry!
Coconut Curry With Chicken
Made with tender chicken, diced potatoes, flavorful chickpeas, and a medley of spices, this coconut curry chicken will have your taste buds singing. It’s the perfect comfort food and is sure to have you coming back for seconds! Serve it with some fluffy white rice for a meal the whole family will love.
Not only is this coconut curry chicken incredibly tasty, but it’s also a breeze to prepare. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a wholesome and satisfying meal ready to enjoy in no time. It may even rival your favorite Thai takeout spot! Let’s get started with the ingredients and spices you’ll need to make it.
Ingredients for Coconut Curry
Coconut curry chicken is so flavorful and delicious! The only way to achieve this is by making sure you have all of the necessary spices and seasonings on hand. You may need to make a trip to your local Asian market!
- Chicken Breasts: The main protein of the dish. If desired, you can substitute boneless chicken thighs for a more juicy option.
- Potatoes: No Thai curry is complete without some soft, delicious potatoes!
- Chickpeas: These are packed with fiber and protein, adding some extra nutrition to the dish.
- Diced Carrots: Carrots bring a pop of color and a hint of natural sweetness to balance the spices.
- Vegetable Oil: This oil is used for sautéing the onions, garlic, and ginger in, helping to build the flavorful base of the curry.
- Yellow Onion: Yellow onion caramelizes beautifully when cooked, releasing its natural sweetness and enhancing the overall flavor.
- Garlic: You can never go wrong with garlic. Add some in so your curry has the perfect savory flavor!
- Fresh Ginger: Adds a bright and slightly spicy kick to the coconut curry chicken.
- Tomato Paste: Helps to thicken the sauce and gives it more flavor.
- Curry Powder: Curry powder gives the dish its distinct flavor and adds a mild, warm spiciness.
- Seasonings and Spices: I used a mix of curry powder, turmeric, and salt and pepper to add flavor to the curry.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk: Tones down the heat of the curry and also adds a delicious creaminess.
- Cilantro and Rice (For Serving): Fresh cilantro is used as a garnish, giving the dish some extra flavor. Serve the coconut curry chicken over a bed of fluffy white rice to absorb all the tasty flavors!
How to Make Coconut Curry in a Slow Cooker
Using a crockpot to cook your curry helps all of the delicious flavors meld together. It’s also great because you can prepare it in the morning, and then have a hearty, delicious meal to come home to in the evening.
- Prepare Chicken, Heat Pan: Prepare your chicken by chopping it into 2 inch pieces and seasoning with some salt and pepper. Then heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Saute the chicken for 5-8 minutes, until just seared on all sides.
- Add Ingredients to Slow Cooker: To the slow cooker add your seared chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, and carrots, set aside while you prepare your sauce.
- Sauté Vegetables: In the skillet you cooked your chicken in, heat your oil over medium high heat, then add the onion to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in your garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute more.
- Add Remaining Sauce Ingredients: To the saucepan add your tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, and coconut milk. Whisk everything together well, then remove from heat.
- Cook: Pour your sauce over your chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker, then cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high. You can also cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve: Serve fresh over rice with some chopped cilantro on top.
These are a couple of extra tips to help you make the best coconut chicken curry possible. This curry is so creamy, and the chicken is so tender, I know your family will love it as much as mine does. Even my youngest, who is the pickiest eater I’ve ever encountered, can never get enough!
- Sear the Chicken: Don’t skip searing the chicken cubes before adding them to the slow cooker. This step helps to lock in the juices and develop a nice golden color.
- Use Full-Fat Coconut Milk: Go for full-fat coconut milk when making coconut curry chicken. It has a creamier texture and richer taste compared to light coconut milk.
- Adjust Seasoning: Once the cooking time is complete, taste the curry and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, or additional spices if needed. Remember to add seasonings slowly until you reach your desired flavor.
- Low-Carb Version: To make this dish work for low-carb or keto diets, swap the white rice or cauliflower rice.
To store leftover coconut curry chicken, allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or airtight freezer bags.
- In the Refrigerator: If stored properly, your curry will stay good for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: If you need to keep it longer, you can freeze it for up to 2-3 months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- To Reheat: Pop your coconut curry in the microwave or heat it up on the stove until warmed through. If it has gotten too thick, you can add a splash of coconut milk to adjust the consistency.
Prepare your chicken by chopping it into 2 inch pieces and seasoning with some salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Saute the chicken for 5-8 minutes, until just seared on all sides.
To the slow cooker add your seared chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, and carrots, set aside while you prepare your sauce.
In the skillet you cooked your chicken, heat your oil over medium high heat, add the onion to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in your garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute more.
To the saucepan add your tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, and coconut milk. Whisk everything together well, remove from heat.
Pour your sauce over your chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker, cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high, or on low for 8 hours.
Serve fresh over rice with some chopped cilantro on top.
Calories340kcal (17%)Carbohydrates40g (13%)Protein14g (28%)Fat15g (23%)Saturated Fat12g (60%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gTrans Fat0.004gCholesterol18mg (6%)Sodium698mg (29%)Potassium693mg (20%)Fiber5g (20%)Sugar4g (4%)Vitamin A2966IU (59%)Vitamin C8mg (10%)Calcium67mg (7%)Iron5mg (28%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.