Brace yourself for a cosmic trip down memory lane! Homemade cosmic brownies are here to take you back to your childhood, one fudgy bite at a time. Because let’s be real, there’s no better way to relive the good old days than with a sprinkle-studded treat that’s out of this world!
Nothing quite compares to a pan of homemade brownies. When I’m craving something sweet and chocolatey, brownies always do the trick! You’ll have to try these 3-ingredient brownies or cheesecake brownies next. Another great option is this cherry cheesecake brownie recipe if you’re looking to try something new!
Homemade Cosmic Brownies
If you’re a fan of nostalgic treats, then you’re in for a cosmic delight with these homemade cosmic brownies. Say goodbye to those store-bought Little Debbie brownies that are often dry, overly sweet, and lacking in flavor. (I will admit though, they’re great to find in the pantry when you get a craving for something sweet.) With homemade cosmic brownies, you get to control the ingredients and the level of sweetness. They also just taste better without all of the preservatives! Plus, there’s just something so satisfying (and delicious) about making brownies from scratch to share with the fam!
One of the best things about making homemade cosmic brownies is that you can get creative with the toppings. Sure, the classic rainbow sprinkles are a must, but why stop there? How about adding some candy, crushed Oreos, peanut butter chips, or even a drizzle of caramel sauce? The possibilities are endless, and it’s a fun way to get your kids involved in the baking process too. Trust me, once you’ve tried a homemade cosmic brownie, you’ll never want to go back to the store-bought version again. So put on your apron, grab your mixing bowl, and get ready to blast off to brownie heaven!
Ingredients for Cosmic Brownies
If you want to make a batch of nostalgic goodness, here is everything you need! These homemade cosmic brownies use a lot of pantry staples to make your life a little easier. If you’re looking for measurements then check out the recipe card below!
- Chopped Dark Chocolate: Gives the cosmic brownies rich, deep flavor. If you don’t want to use dark chocolate, you can also substitute it with semisweet or milk chocolate.
- Unsalted Butter: Butter adds richness and flavor to the brownies. If you don’t have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter instead, but be sure to reduce the amount of salt you use in the recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: A must-add for sweet, delicious cosmic brownies!
- Dark Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds a deep sweetness to the brownies. If you don’t have dark brown sugar, you can use light brown sugar instead, but the flavor and texture of the brownies may be slightly different.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and moisture to the brownies.
- Salt: Just a pinch to balance out sweetness and enhance all of the flavors!
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps to thicken the batter and create a fudgy texture.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder helps the cosmic brownies to rise and creates a lighter texture.
- Cocoa Powder: Adds that delicious, signature chocolate flavor to each bite!
- Flour: All-purpose flour works great to provide structure and texture to the brownies.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Give the ganache its chocolatey flavor!
- Unsalted Butter: Adds a smooth texture and rich flavor to the chocolate ganache that’s simply out of this world.
- Heavy Cream: You can’t go wrong with heavy cream! It adds richness and depth of flavor that’s simply heavenly.
- Rainbow Sprinkles: These add a playful touch to your cosmic brownies. They’re the perfect way to add a pop of color! I used these sprinkles from Amazon, but feel free to decorate them however you like!
How to Make Cosmic Brownies
Get ready for an out-of-this-world baking adventure with these copycat cosmic brownies! With a rich, fudgy texture and a galaxy of rainbow sprinkles on top, these brownies are sure to win over your family. They’re so easy to make, and your kids can join in on the fun with decorating them! This recipe for cosmic brownies is a great one to have on hand for birthday parties, potlucks, and beyond! Even Little Debbie herself won’t be able to resist.
- Preheat Oven, Prepare Pan: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 pan and, if desired, line with parchment paper leaving a 1 inch overhang on both sides.
- Melt Chocolate: In a large bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together in 30 second intervals. Once fully melted, stir in the sugars and eggs.
- Add Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, sift together the salt, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and then mix until combined.
- Transfer Batter to Pan, Bake: Add the brownie batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool: Let the brownies cool completely.
- Heat Ingredients: Gently heat the chocolate, butter, and cream in 20 second intervals in the microwave until steaming. Whisk together until smooth. Pour over cooled brownies and smooth over the top. Sprinkle rainbow chips or sprinkles over the ganache before it sets.
- Allow to Set: Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
How to Make the Best Brownies
This recipe for homemade cosmic brownies is super straightforward, but here are a few extra ways to make sure your batch turns out as delicious as possible.
- Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate! Use high-quality dark chocolate and cocoa powder to really make your brownies shine. The richer the chocolate flavor, the better!
- Add Extra Moisture: If you want your brownies to be extra fudgy, try adding a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil to the batter. This will help keep the brownies moist and gooey.
- Don’t Overmix: Only mix your brownie batter together until it’s smooth. If you overmix it, gluten may develop and you’ll end up with rubbery brownies.
- Get Creative With Toppings: Don’t be afraid to mix things up and try different toppings for your cosmic brownies. M&Ms, chopped nuts, hot fudge, melted white chocolate, or caramel sauce are all great options!
- Let Cool Completely: As tempting as it may be to dive right into your warm, freshly baked cosmic brownies, it’s important to let them cool completely before cutting into them. This will help them set up and ensure that both the brownies and the ganache hold their shape.
Homemade cosmic brownies will last for about 3-4 days if stored properly in an airtight container at room temperature. However, if you want to keep them for longer, you can store them in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. Just be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to enjoy them, let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours before enjoying!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 pan and, if desired, line with parchment paper leaving a 1 inch overhang on both sides.
In a large bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together in 30 second intervals. Once fully melted, stir in the sugars and eggs.
In a medium bowl, sift together the salt, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
Add the brownie batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Let the brownies cool completely.
Gently heat the chocolate, butter, and cream in 20 second intervals in the microwave until steaming. Whisk together until smooth. Pour over cooled brownies and smooth over the top. Sprinkle rainbow chips or sprinkles over the ganache before it sets.
Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Calories398kcal (20%)Carbohydrates41g (14%)Protein4g (8%)Fat25g (38%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat7gTrans Fat0.4gCholesterol67mg (22%)Sodium130mg (5%)Potassium235mg (7%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar29g (32%)Vitamin A476IU (10%)Vitamin C0.04mgCalcium40mg (4%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.