We’re all for strawberry + rhubarb, but sometimes rhubarb deserves to be in the spotlight, unmasked by other flavors! Enter this simple, vegan + gluten-free RHUBARB crisp. It showcases the tangy, bright flavor of rhubarb while enhancing it with a perfectly sweet oat-almond topping.
Made in 1 bowl with just 8 ingredients, it’s a low-effort dessert perfect for spring and summer. Let’s get crispy!
The simple rhubarb filling comes together with just 4 ingredients, with fresh or frozen rhubarb being the star of the show. Cane sugar contributes its sweet + neutral flavor, cornstarch absorbs the juices and thickens, and sea salt adds flavor.
For the oat-almond topping, we combine rolled oats, almond flour, gluten-free flour blend (or all-purpose if not GF), cane sugar, sea salt, and coconut oil or vegan butter. Nothing too strong in flavor because we don’t want to hide the rhubarb!
We dump it over the filling, bake, and what emerges is a golden brown crisp topping over a saucy, tender, tart-sweet rhubarb filling. Swoon!
We hope you LOVE this rhubarb crisp! It’s:
& SO delicious!
It’s the perfect spring and summertime dessert, especially for rhubarb lovers, feeding a crowd, or when you want something super easy and special. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and oh my — you’ll be in love.
More Crisp Recipes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Servings 8 (Servings)
Prevent your screen from going dark
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb (if using frozen, place in a colander and rinse briefly under cold water)
- 2/3 cup cane sugar* (ensure organic for vegan-friendly)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (ensure gluten-free as needed)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (we prefer Wellbee’s)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (we used our DIY blend // MB or other brands work well, too! // or all-purpose flour if not GF)
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar* (ensure organic for vegan-friendly)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or vegan butter (use refined coconut oil to avoid a coconutty flavor)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
To a large mixing bowl, add chopped rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, and sea salt. Stir to coat. Place the rhubarb mixture into an 8×8-inch baking dish.
To the same (now empty) mixing bowl, add the rolled oats, almond flour, gluten-free flour blend, cane sugar, and sea salt. Stir to combine. Pour the coconut oil or vegan butter on top of the dry ingredients and stir with a fork to evenly distribute it. The mixture should stick together when squeezed between your hands. If too moist, add more oats or almond flour. If too dry, add more coconut oil. Place the crumble on top of the rhubarb filling.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes for fresh rhubarb (or 1 hour 30 minutes for frozen), until the top is golden brown and the filling is soft and bubbling (if the top begins to brown too quickly, you can cover, loosely, with foil). If the center isn’t bubbling at this point, continue baking, checking it every 5 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before enjoying, or longer to let the juices thicken. Best served at room temperature with a scoop of (optional) vanilla ice cream. Store loosely covered at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. Best enjoyed within the first 2 days.
To freeze: You can fully cook the crisp and freeze it in its baking dish. To reheat, cover the crisp with foil and bake at 350 F (176 C) until warmed through.
*We don’t recommend using coconut sugar — the stronger flavor and color conflict too much with the rhubarb.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Serving: 1 serving Calories: 223 Carbohydrates: 34.6 g Protein: 2.5 g Fat: 9.1 g Saturated Fat: 5.9 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.8 g Monounsaturated Fat: 1.7 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 39 mg Potassium: 317 mg Fiber: 2.7 g Sugar: 21 g Vitamin A: 15 IU Vitamin C: 7.3 mg Calcium: 91 mg Iron: 0.6 mg